Saturday, November 3, 2007

Bon Voyage...




October 30, 2007

Well this is certainly the most surreal experience of my life.

The major hurtle of getting through the check-in and then security with my absurd amount of belongings is over. I paid the $50 for over-weight baggage, but that’s ½ as much as I was expecting. It’s a small price to pay for knowing I have everything I need. The cranky woman at the Lufthansa counter also didn’t like my garment bag because it weighed 6lbs more than it should have, so I took a bunch of stuff out and handed them to Kate and Caroline and we went on our way. Once we were out of range, we promptly put them back in again. I’m sorry, but if I am going to be in Siberia during the winter I am going to have my winter coats. But, enough about baggage.

I am now sitting at my gate in SFO. It’s gate 99 and my flight is first to Munich and then to Rome, where I spend the night, and then I go to Palermo the next day where my boss will be waiting for me. I’m in gray seat, wall, and carpet misery…but I suppose the trip will be colorful, but as in life, the waiting is drab. And, in a way, this grayness around me holds true to “One day, one perfect color.” Not because I am melancholy. On the contrary, I am highly serene. And I am in the bardo. Just waiting to be tossed back into a new body in a new world with other soul-mates. I’m on that brink…just a few more moments here.

The entire German Lufthansa crew just came down the escalator to our waiting area. They look sharp in their severe navy suits with yellow trim. Very German. I was behind them in security and they were all very nice. But I find the Germans to be very pleasant in general.

There is a man behind me who has stretched out and is snoring quietly. It’s 9:46pm right now and we depart in an hour. I can’t believe I am back in this airport for the second time in six months. That reminds me, I need to pay my first payment of my student loans in a few days. Note to self: email Chela Financial to arrange things.

I haven’t cried at all leaving, which surprised even me. I cried when I left this summer for three months. And at that time I had a return flight. No, this time I have a one-way ticket, 1/5 as much money, a couple of jobs lined up, and a tentative plan. But no return ticket as of yet after spending what will probably be 18 months abroad and maybe more. But, luckily I will be taking a job which will pay for my return ticket. Housing, health insurance, and a return ticket home. What could possibly be better?

So, Kate told me to be safe, have fun, don’t be bothered by too many boys, stop worrying about my weight, and to know that she will always be there for me. Amanda cried, a lot. Jax was fairly stoic. My mother surprised me the most and only teared up a little bit, but quickly regained her composure. It’s a Viking thing. Like my grandma Ruth says, “Just get on the boat.” And keep going.

I can’t believe I am sitting in this airport about to get on a flight to go live overseas independently. While I always fantasized about doing stuff like this, I never really considered the reality of it actually occurring. And here I am. In a grey waiting room with my huge garmet bag full of clothes to impress the Italians and keep me warm in a Mongolian winter, and my goddess tote with my art easel and far too much reading material. Damn, it’s heavy. Note to self: German men are kinda cute. German women, not so much. At least not from this sampling anyway. I guess Heidi Klum is the exception. Now THAT would be interesting…if she were here. I saw Tyra Banks at LAX one time on my way back from Fiji. She had cellulite which showed through her tight white pants. But I love the woman, I think she’s a beautiful soul.





Breathe, Laurel, breathe. Holy moly, I am moving across the world and it is happening NOW. The flight which has until now been a pixilated itinerary on my computer is now through a big set of double doors 50 feet away from me. I am firmly convinced in the power of imagination to set amazing paths in motion. It’s almost inevitable sometimes that what I dream will happen. It’s getting easier all the time.

On a side note, I think it’s total BS that I have to pay for wireless in the airport.

I’ll come back tougher, more worldly, braver, and more determined in what I want to do. At the time of this writing I want to live in 5 countries, and learn 6 languages, have two books published, get a perfect score on my grad school exams, and the go to either USC or Georgetown to get a dual degree in Business and Public Policy with an Itn’l office.

Ok, I have been called. Seat 48G here I come. World, here I come. Hear me roar, and get ready because it’s game-on from here.

Ciao Ragazzi (friends).

1 comment:

Diana said...

German women are not hot. I hated Germany, except for the parts that look like a fairy tale land.

giggles.

d