Friday, November 9, 2007

Grammuur hell and Italian orthopedic shoes...

OK, pop quiz...

Who knows the difference between a transitive and an intransitive verb?

Can you write a brief paragraph on the formation in English of the comparatives and superlatives of adjectives?

Ok, an easy one: What tense is this in: "By the time we move to Liverpool, we’ll have spent 3 years in Wigan."

Geez, everybody knows that it's future perfect progressive! Right?

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dying a slow grammatically correct death. I have to fill out 10 pages of this crap to get hired. I still haven't found index cards yet, and I need them for both learning Italian and English grammar rules. May just cut up a bunch of paper. Oh, easel finally showed up. Two paintbrushes are missing. Go figure.


My favorite news story of the day:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071108/ap_on_fe_st/tallest_man

My second-favorite news story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071109/ap_on_re_eu/italy_mafia_s_commandments

Note the location (Palermo).



So the last couple of days have been a mad dash around the English teacher world. I am trying to get hired by a couple of the schools and it is a major effort. I've never had to do so much to get a job before. This is the first time where I wasn't recruited in some way, or simply offered a job for whatever reason. But, it's not really that bad...I am in Italy after all.

Firecrackers are still going off nonstop.

I'm going to a party tonight with my boss to mingle and sell the company to potential clients. So I must look extra cute. Will take lots of pictures.

Feet are still beat to hell, and I discovered a blood blister on the bottom of my foot yesterday that is the size of a quarter. Good lord. That reminds me, I LOVE this country for another reason: orthopedic shoes, Italian style. See picture below. After my 1/2 mile walk in Stillettos, I decided that I needed a pair of shoes that would be really cute with everything...because wearing tennis shoes with a skirt and nylons is not so sexy. Really. 80 Euros is well worth the price to save my feet and ankles from a catastophic injury. And they are patent leather. What more could a girl ask for?




Hmmmm, Sicilian men. An interesting bunch. I walk down the street and feel like those Hollywood actresses that are swarmed on the red carpet. I get revved at by guys on vespas, honked at by guys in cars, whistled at from guys in windows on upper floors or on balconies, followed and talked to by guys on the street, moaned at while clutching heart by the guys stuck at their store, and so on. It's like a big party that I didn't know I was invited to. I'm a regular celebrity...even in a sweatshirt. I need a brown paper bag and bad posture. Or a taser with an extra-long reach. Ok people, for Christmas or my birthday I want a taser.


I think I can finish with that.

1 comment:

click said...

sweetie, something i forgot about for a long time after i arrived in italy was my good friend, THE EPSOM SALTS. go to the pharmacy and get yourself some and put your feet in warm water with ite very night. they'll feel miles better and the swelling (if you have some now) will go down and away and out.

the only blood blister i had in my life was in italy :)

miss you darlin' but i'm glad you're living life so fully.